Assistant Curator, Border Force National Museum
Part-time, 25.9 hrs / week
National Museums Liverpool are looking for an Assistant Curator for the Border Force National Museum, located at the Pilotage. This role is a maternity backfill contracted until Dec 2019, or sooner if the post holder returns.
Purpose and Objectives
- To support senior colleagues to develop collections and audiences
- To support senior colleagues in the management of the Border Force National Museum Collection and Seized!
- To develop, over time, a specialist knowledge of one area of the collections and be responsible for specific special exhibitions
- Working with relevant NML colleagues to support the delivery of the special exhibitions and displays programme Seized. This will include research into collections and their organisation prior to display, completion of work requests and liaising with other NML departments under the direction of senior curatorial colleagues
- Providing support for venue improvement/development plans, including improvements to existing displays and development of new galleries
- Responding to offers and managing acquisitions to the Border Force collections, under guidance from senior curatorial colleagues
- Completion of documentation of acquisitions to the collections in accordance with established procedures
- Retrospective documentation of collections in accordance with established procedures
- Handling, marking and labelling of objects in accordance with established procedures
- Cataloguing of collections on appropriate database software using departmental classification systems to agreed NML standards
- Managing information relating to collections and displays, including digitised images and departmental collection, object history and subject files
- Review handling collection database and up date as required with support from senior curator. Liaise with museum education colleagues over issues related to the handling collection
- Answering and recording of enquiries from the general public and specialist researchers under the direction of senior curatorial colleagues
- Liaising with relevant NML staff to ensure that the Seized gallery is maintained to an acceptable standard
- Supporting the creation of on-line displays by making available images and collections information
- Assist with the supervision of volunteers and work placement students, undertaking periodic appraisal and facilitating their training in association with IS staff and NML’s HR department
For more information, and to apply, visit the National Museums Liverpool website.
The deadline for applications is 28 Feb 2019.