Start date: w/c 26th August (funding dependent)
Deadline for Applications: 1 Aug 2018, 12 noon
MATE Productions would like to recruit one or more freelance professional set designers, makers and workshop facilitators for three projects between August 2018 – September 2019:
- An autumn outdoor touring walkabout fairytale production of The Naughty Willo The Wisp
- A summer 2019 outdoor touring production of Romeo and Juliet
- A spring & summer 2019 (10 x Saturdays) Arts Awards creative communities programme in the MATE Story Tent, Market Place in Prescot
The role/s would be primarily based at Shakespeare North’s community arts base – Cockpit House, 34 Church Street, Prescot, Knowsley, L34 3LA, and the MATE Story Tent, Market Place, Prescot and would involve working with a small team of adult community volunteers, with children and young people from local schools and from the MATE Kidz Theatre Workshop.
- Work alongside the Artistic Director, Costume Designer and creative team on a shared vision for the productions
- Realise vision into designs / simple drawings that provide blue-prints for making set & props.
- Facilitate workshops, up-skill and lead a team of community volunteers on Tuesday or Thursday evenings between 7.30pm – 10pm to make set and props
- Work independently (and with volunteers) to ensure all set and props are made and completed for the production
- Support/work with the costume designer/dressmaker in the creation of specialist costumes and props
- Work with children and young people to support them to make set and props and attain Arts Awards in the MATE Story Tent and in local schools
- Source and purchase materials and keep accurate records
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in theatre design
- Experience in making set and props for theatre productions
- Experience in teaching/workshop leading – you will be expected to prepare sessions and teach skills and mentor volunteers and young people
- Excellent communication skills – in person, and by phone and email
- Excellent organisational skills (including keeping accurate records)
- Personable, dynamic, creative, resourceful and energetic
Please send a CV and short letter of application explaining why you think you are right for this post, clearly stating your qualifications and outlining your experience in similar roles, to Gaynor La Rocca, MATE Productions, Cockpit House, 34 Church Street, L34 3LA or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an informal interview at Cockpit House on either the afternoon of Saturday 4 August or the evening of Monday 7 August.