Digital Product Manager
Full time (35 hrs p/w)
£27,000 – £35,000 per annum
Deadline 1 Oct 2018
This new role will lead the implementation of The Reader’s plan to transform its digital infrastructure over the next 12 months.
Through the development of new digital products, including a new public website, you’ll be helping to scale up the unique model of Shared Reading, designed to reduce social isolation and improve wellbeing among communities across the UK. In this creative, wide-ranging role, you will be the Digital Champion within the organisation, acting as an expert link between a range of internal teams and external suppliers. You’ll be managing the digital development budget and driving the implementation of new products, systems and processes that strengthen the organisation and its social impact.
Thanks to generous funding from National Lottery, The Reader are currently investing in digital services that will help us to:
a)improve volunteer attraction, recruitment, training and support as demand for Shared Reading grows, in order to achieve better outcomes for the people they read with
b) find ways to operate more effectively and efficiently, for example streamlining data collection and management
c)strengthen external communications with audiences
Over the last year, The Reader have conducted a wide-ranging digital strategy project, involving staff and external stakeholders, to develop a roadmap for how technology can further their mission, and improve efficiency and impact.
They’re now looking for a digital professional to take forward this strategy; someone who will enjoy working with a range of stakeholders to make it real.
- Oversee the development of a new digital infrastructure that delivers excellent user experience including a new external website which is connected to an effective CRM system and an engaging, intuitive online support system for volunteers
- Develop, present and monitor a clear vision, roadmap, KPIs and roll-out plans for all new products
- Work with The Reader’s IT team to ensure effective roll out and integration of new products/systems. Transfer knowledge on digital best practice and emerging technologies, building up skills within existing IT team
- Ensure that digital products are well-designed and accessible to audiences across all digital devices, taking varied digital literacy and confidence levels into account
- Ensure that Information Architecture and data management systems are robust
- Work with colleagues to ensure that external stakeholders are involved in the product development process in meaningful ways, leading user research where required
- Facilitate internal decision-making, reporting to the Programme Board on a regular basis and making recommendations
- Manage the relationship(s) with third-party suppliers, ensuring they deliver high-quality work that meets specification on time and on budget
- Effectively document and explain requirements and feedback, monitor acceptance tests, bridging internal teams, users and third-party suppliers
- Manage a programme budget, reporting to Director of Programmes on a regular basis and contribute to project reports for funders
- Work closely with the Communications and Communities Directorate to develop and deliver a digital content plan, and oversee its delivery in line with project timeline, ensuring that content incorporates best practice SEO into the website and new tools are on brand
- Work with Communications team to develop a marketing and communications plan for product roll out and ensure take up of products meet agreed targets
- Ensure that medium to long-term sustainability and resource requirements are assessed and considered in the product development process. Assess the proposals for implementation and future maintenance to ensure they are future proofed for the organisation and are manageable from both a workflow and budgetary perspective.
- Embed new ways of working in the organisation to help The Reader become more digitally enabled, eg. promoting agile ways of working, prototyping, encourage collaborative, cross-departmental ways of working
For the full job description and person specification, click here.