As a key member of the leadership team at The Reader, this role is responsible for securing the income and building the partnerships that The Reader needs to sustain and grow its work. This role leads the Development Team to achieve their challenging income targets across a diverse income portfolio of grants, commissions, individual, corporate and event fundraising.
We are looking for a strategic thinker who is a well-organised, target-driven leader, who can demonstrate income generation experience and great communication skills. Whether you bring experience from fundraising, public sector commissioning or commercial sales, we’re looking for someone who can spot, shape and secure new opportunities with a range of supporters across a range of sectors. As Head of Development, you’ll need to be a great relationship builder with both internal and external stakeholders, and you’ll also be a translator – able to shape up funding propositions from other people’s ideas, developing compelling narratives to secure support for them.
We’re looking for a collaborative person who has experience working across departments, because you’ll need to build effective relationships with a range of teams to do this job, including within our Shared Reading, Programmes, Evaluation, Social Enterprise, communications and Finance teams.
– Experience of one or more of: grant funding, philanthropy/high net worth giving, public sector commissioning, corporate fundraising or commercial sales
– Experience of working in or closely with a communications team or ability to show how you might make the most of this opportunity
-Experience working within either voluntary sector; social enterprise sector,
the Arts or NHS/public health sector
– Proven experience of meeting/exceeding financial targets
– Excellent copywriter with the ability to create a strong narrative in proposals
and funding reports
– Excellent communication and influencing skills with the ability to build rapport with a range of stakeholders and experience working with partners at senior level
– Excellent leadership and people-management skills with the ability to offer both challenge and support
– Ability to work under pressure, delivering to tight deadlines, manage conflicting priorities and demonstrate high levels of emotional resilience
– Strong budget management skills
– Experience of using a CRM to manage pipeline and stakeholder management.
– Creative, strategic thinker and networker – ability to spot, shape and secure new opportunities to sustain and grow The Reader’s work
– Able to demonstrate an understanding of the wider work of The Reader and
its social values and have a good understanding of its purpose and social mission
– A commitment to a developmental culture through an openness to ongoing
learning and personal development
Hours/FTE: 35 hours/1 FTE usually Monday – Friday. We are committed to offering flexible working
Reports to: Director of Development
Based: Flexible working arrangements available –requirement for 1 or 2 days per week based at Calderstones Park
Closing date: 9am, Friday 4th March 2022
Vacancy Reference code: 1/2022
To apply please visit https://www.thereader.org.uk/job/head-of-development/ to view a full job description and application form.